How to chat on Google Docs? Google Docs is one of the most used online document creation tools. It’s easily understandable by the name that it is a Google product, and it is available for free for anyone with a Google account.
It comes with all the features that you would expect from a document editor. Sure, it could do with some more customization options but it works very well for day-to-day use.
One great feature of Google Docs is that it allows multiple people to collaborate on the same document.
So, you and your friend or colleague can work on the same document at the same time. This is usually helpful in common projects where different people have to come together to work on different parts of a document.
And as you can imagine, this creates a need for a chat feature.
Collaboration requires communication and Google provides a great way for collaborators on Google Docs to talk to each other using a chat feature within the software.
It’s quite handy and very easy to use. Let’s go through the steps that you can take to chat with other people on Google Docs.
Table of Contents
How to chat on Google Docs
- First, you have to open a Google Docs document. To do this, sign in to your Google account. Access Google.com and click on the “Sign in” button at the top right corner of your screen;
- Next, use your email address and password to sign in;
- Once you’ve signed in, you will see a grid icon towards the top right corner of your screen. It will be on the right-hand side of the words, “Gmail” and “Images”. Click there;
- You will see a whole list of Google apps. Select “Google Docs” and open it;
- If you already have a document that you’re working on, you can click on it to open it. You can also click on “Blank” to create a new document;
- Next, to chat with someone in this document, you need to send them a link to the document;
- To send someone a link to this document, click on “Share” toward the top right corner of your screen. A small window will open up where you have to click on “Change to anyone with the link”;
- In the next window that pops up, click on “Viewer”, and then click on “Editor”. Then choose “Copy Link” and then click “Done”;
- Share the copied link to the person you want to chat with on Google Docs. You can send the person the link using a chat service or via email. Make sure that if you’re on a computer, they open the link on their computer as well;
- After the person has opened up the link on their end, a small icon will appear toward the top right corner of the screen. Click on it and a chat window will appear;
- Type in your message in the chatbox and send it;
- Once you’re done with chatting, you can simply click on X.
Knowing how to chat in Google Docs in real-time with your working colleagues can be a great advantage to establish a good collaboration.
And more, it’s very simple and straightforward, as you can understand by reading this article.
Check out some of our other awesome articles:
- How can I insert shapes in Google Docs?
- Google Drive and Google Docs: what is the difference?
- How to delete Google Drive contents
- Moving photos from Google Photos to Google drive and vice-versa
- Transfer Google Photos to a new account
- How to change the location of Google Drive folder
- Cloud storage: The best alternatives to Google Drive
- How can I change my Google business address
- How to download photos and albums from Google Photos
- Differences between Gmail and a Google Account
- Recover permanently deleted photos from Google Photos and Drive
- Google Docs ownership – How to transfer?
- Can I still get 100GB free on Google Drive?
- Editing photos with Google Drive
- Google Photos vs Google Drive