Stay with us if you have been wondering how to block adult websites in Windows 10. We all know the Internet can be a dark and scary place. And given that you can find practically anything there, it’s logical that some content isn’t suitable for some users.
Adult sites, in particular, have long been a source of controversy.
Barring Internet access for some people can also be counterproductive, especially given how tech-savvy the children of today can be. Well, despite all that there’s no need to worry!
In this article, we’ll be focusing on how to block adult websites for a safer browsing experience.
How to block adults websites in Windows 10
There’s more than one way to get this done, and this article covers all the suitable methods.
Using the built-in Windows 10 settings for Microsoft Edge
Fortunately, Windows 10 comes with a built-in option to block adult websites. Just follow the steps below to carry it out:
- Open “Settings” on your computer. You can do this by clicking on the gear icon from the Start menu or typing and selecting “Settings” from the search bar;
- Go to “Accounts”;
- Click on “Family & Other People” from the menu on the left. You should see this option close to the end of the list;
- A list of accounts added to your PC should load on your screen. Under your family accounts, you will see a hyperlinked text labeled “Manage family settings online”. Click on this link;
- Your default browser should open automatically. You might be prompted to choose your browser if a default is not set;
- On the loaded webpage, scroll down until you come across the “Block inappropriate websites” button;
- Click on this button.
This will now automatically block adult content on your PC if you are using Microsoft Edge.
As an alternative, you can also set up a child account as we’ll describe above. This gives you complete access to the content and permissions available to the user of that account and also allows you to monitor their activity if it’s needed.
Using Safe Search on other browsers
If you’re using a browser other than Microsoft Edge, you’ll find that almost all of them offer a safe search option in their settings.
All you need to access your browser’s settings and turn on safe search. This is usually located under a privacy or browsing tab.
Using DNS filtering services
A Domain Name System (DNS) filtering service is essentially what most governments use to filter websites and restrict Internet content. These services detect a specific domain name and block all such websites, adult ones in our case. This is the fastest and most efficient method to block adult content in Windows 10.
Note: DNS Filtering services are third-party services and their legality varies from country to country. Furthermore, granting specific permissions to software to make changes on your computer can result in harm and loss of data. Always be careful when using third-party applications from the Internet.
Some of the recommended DNS filtering services are Clean Browsing, OpenDNS, Yandex Family DNS, and Neustar. The steps for using the filtering services of both – and even other services, are essentially the same. We have used OpenDNS for this tutorial:
- Visit the website and sign up for an official account. Some services may require you to download and install their application before you create your account;
- The website will then automatically connect you to a server and allow you to choose settings to block adult sites;
- Still, if you find that some adult sites are showing up, you can completely rid your browsing experience from such content by entering the following IP addresses into your OpenDNS connection. The instructions for using these can be easily followed from the application itself to activate the Family Shield feature:
Using these IP addresses essentially blocks global content as well, not just local.
Note: Each DNS filtering service comes with its unique IP addresses to block global content. Be sure to check which service you have decided to use and establish your connection with the relevant IP addresses for a more secure experience.
Using browser extensions
The most popular browsers out there such as Chrome and Firefox come with their own mini-app libraries for web surfing. These libraries also include various extensions that can be used for blocking adult websites.
To add them to your browser, simply access the extensions store on your respective browser and download and install the right filter. You can also use the search bar to find exactly what you’re looking for.
Blocking adult websites may be tremendously important for many. Whether you want to look after your child, set up a safer searching experience for yourself, or even for somebody else. Now you know how to do it properly.
Check out some of our other awesome articles:
- Deleting backup files in Windows 10
- Changing the screensaver in Windows 10
- How do I change folder icons in Windows 10?
- Stopping uTorrent from starting with Windows 10
- Guide to install Windows without losing data
- Is WinZip needed in Windows 10?
- How can I create a Windows 10 backup image?
- Blocking programs from accessing the internet in Windows 10
- Turning on/off Airplane Mode in Windows 10
- How to run programs as administrator in Windows 10?
- Problems with Photos app in Windows 10 – How to fix?
- Where is the Windows dump file located?
- Windows 10 Recycle Bin location
- How to hide the Recycle Bin icon
- Emptying the Recycle Bin on Windows 7, 8, and 10
- Changing the Recycle Bin icon on Windows
- Taking screenshots of videos (YouTube and others)
- Changing the screenshot destination on Windows 10
- Tips on how to use the Windows 10 Snipping Tool shortcuts
- Taking screenshots without using the PrtScr Key
- How to take screenshots of just one screen in a 2-monitor setup
- Using the Snipping Tool in Windows 10
- Taking screenshots in Windows 7 without the Snipping Tool
- How to screenshot entire pages in Google Chrome