All through this article, we are going to explain how to stop uTorrent from opening on Windows 10 startup. A lot of people use a BitTorrent client (or a torrent client) for a variety of purposes.
Each internet connection has its own ip address and this software makes it easy to share files in a peer-to-peer manner in a torrent file. This way, a user doesn’t have to depend on a central server. It’s a great protocol that can solve your problem when you are looking forward to uploading or downloading file. That might be an awesome advantage, especially when sharing a large file.
However, similar to many other programs, the uTorrent app tends to open up every time you start your computer. This can be annoying at times as it can delay your Windows boot-up time. All the startup programs have this disadvantage.
If it’s something unwanted, it’s annoying. You enter your Windows session and then the programs on the startup folder will start, one by one, and you’ll be trying to hit the start button and another program appears, closing the start menu. Some people will just run the task manager and close all that programs. But it’s cumbersome to be doing it every time, that is until you take care of disabling autorun for these programs.
So, when you download and install the uTorrent application, it is a good idea to make sure you stop it from opening on Windows 10 startup. To do this, you just have to follow a handful of simple steps. We’ll take a look at these below.
How to stop uTorrent from opening on Windows 10 startup
Each time you do a Windows system startup you notice that it resulted in an open uTorrent client. But you just feel that it’s not useful and you rather turn it on only when you do need it.
If you’re willing to know how to disable uTorrent from opening on startup Windows 10, you can do it by changing the uTorrent settings.
Follow the steps below:
- Open up the uTorrent software. You can find its icon on your desktop. If not, just click on the Windows logo at the lower-left corner of your screen to access the start menu and start typing “uTorrent”. It will appear right away in the search results;
- Next, go to “Options”. You will find it towards the top-left corner of the screen;
- Now, click on “Preferences”;
- A new window will open up and you’ll find yourself in the “General” tab. On the right-hand side, you can find settings related to language, automatic updates, etc;
- Uncheck the box right next to “Start uTorrent when Windows starts”;
- Click “Ok”. This will stop the uTorrent software from opening up whenever you start your computer.
You can also go to the Windows startup tab (on the start menu) and delete the uTorrent shortcut. Any shortcut that is located here will run on the system startup, like our uTorrent client.
uTorrent folder: the install location on Windows 10
Now that we’ve discussed how to stop uTorrent from opening at startup, let’s take a look at how you can find its install location. This can be useful if you can’t seem to find the uTorrent icon on your desktop or even in the list of programs in the Start Menu.
If you’re looking to use the application or make some changes to its settings, you must find where the application is located in the first place.
Usually, if you installed uTorrent with the default settings, you will find it in your C: drive. So, to find its exact location, you could follow the below steps:
- Double click on “This PC” on your Windows desktop;
- Next, double click on “Windows (C:)”;
- Now, double click the “Users” folder;
- Then, double click your username folder (the same username of your computer);
- Afterward, double click the “AppData” folder;
- Next, open up the “Roaming” folder;
- Now, you will see a list of different programs. Find and open up the “uTorrent” folder;
- You will now be in the install location of uTorrent.
How to uninstall uTorrent on Windows 10
Next, let’s say you want to uninstall uTorrent from your computer. This might sound like a cumbersome process, but it is quite easy. Just follow the below-mentioned steps and uTorrent will be out of your system in no time at all:
- Click on the Windows icon at the bottom-left corner of your screen;
- Next, click the “All Apps” icon as shown in the image below;
- This will display a list of all the apps installed on your computer;
Find uTorrent on this list and right-click it;
- Now, click “Uninstall”;
- This will uninstall uTorrent from your computer. Next, you need to restart your system for the changes to take effect completely.
uTorrent can be a very useful software for a lot of people. However, it might get annoying and unnecessary when it keeps opening up every time you turn on your computer. Knowing that it’s probably a good idea to turn off that setting.
Besides, if you can’t seem to find your uTorrent application, it’s probably deep inside your C drive. Last, but certainly not least, if you want to get rid of uTorrent for whatever reason, you can do that easily too!