In this article, we’ll be focusing on how to create a Windows 10 image backup on your PC. Microsoft introduced image backup for Windows more than a decade ago with Windows 7.
A backup image of your operating system will allow you to restore your computer if the operating system fails or develops a major error. The significance of a good backup plan cannot be underestimated. It would be best if you are prepared to face any software or hardware-related issues that you might encounter.
There may be different scenarios that might make your Windows 10 PC unstable. For example, your computer may get infected by malware or virus and the operating system files may get severely corrupted.
If you do not create regular system backups, you are putting your personal files, photos, documents, and settings at risk.
There are several ways through which you can back up your computer. You can use some cloud-based service such as Google Drive, Dropbox, or OneDrive to upload important folders and pictures. However, the best way to keep a system backup is through the built-in System Image Backup tool in your Windows 10.
The system image utility creates a “snapshot” of your Windows 10. The backup image contains your settings, installed drivers and apps, documents, and files in your working Windows.
Whenever there is a problem in your operating system that prevents it from loading correctly, instead of a full Windows 10 installation, you can use the Windows 10 backup image to restore your system to its previous settings.
How to create a Windows 10 image backup
This article explains how you can create a Windows image backup for your computer. As a tip, please place the image backup in an external hard drive. The reason behind this is that, in case the internal hard drive fails, you will still be able to restore your Windows 10 using the image backup present in your external storage device.
Please follow the steps below to create a Windows 10 image backup on your computer:
- Navigate to the Windows Control Panel by writing “Control Panel” in the search bar;
- Change the setting from “View by Category” to “Small icons”;
- Click “Back up and Restore (Windows 7)”;
- Click “Create a system image” on the left side;
- Windows will take a moment to find drives in your computer where you can create the Windows 10 image backup;
- Select a drive of your choice where you want to put the Windows 10 backup. You can also backup your data on a network drive;
- After selecting the drive of your choice, click “Next”. Windows will now ask you for some details for the image backup. Click “Next” once you are done with the settings;
- A message will now pop-up regarding the size of the backup on your selected drive. Click “Start backup”;
- The process will take some time, and then you will have the Windows 10 image backup in your selected drive.
Windows 10 system image backup is an outstanding tool that can help you create a backup of your operating system, along with your files, folders, and general settings.
The process is straightforward, and we recommend using an external drive to keep the image backup.
Now that you know how to make an image of Windows 10, in case your drive gets corrupted, you can select the backed-up copy of your system to continue working without any fuss.