How to change Recycle Bin icon? The Recycle Bin is a helpful tool that lets you check the files you have deleted before you exclude them permanently from the computer. By letting you restore the deleted files, it avoids losing any data.
Windows gives you the ability to customize a lot of options, and it is one of its most impressive features. You can personalize your desktop to look the way you want, to make the computer feel it’s really yours. While many people are used to the default icons for apps like the Recycle Bin, you can change it into something of your taste.
Windows has a set of icons to choose from, but you can also import your own icons. It doesn’t matter which Windows Operating System you’re using, it works on all the latest versions. Besides, customization is simple and straightforward.
The only thing you should keep in mind is that the process may vary slightly from one Windows version to another, but we’ll get that covered.
Follow us as we take you step-by-step on what you need to do to change the icon for your specific Windows version.
How to change Recycle Bin icon on Windows
If you’re still using Microsoft Windows XP after all these years, we let you know that you can change the Recycle Bin icon by:
- Opening the “Control Panel”;
- Double-click on “Display”. It takes you to the “Display Properties” window;
- Click on “Desktop”;
- Click “Customize Desktop”;
- Select either Recycle Bin (full) or Recycle Bin (empty) folder in the Desktop items window;
- Click “Change icon”.
In case you want to restore the default icons, select the icon, and click the “Restore default” tab.
Follow these steps to change the Recycle Bin icon on Windows 7:
- On your Windows desktop right-click on an empty space;
- Click “Personalize” on the drop-down menu that appears;
- Locate and click on “Change desktop icons”;
- The desktop icon settings appear;
- Select the Recycle Bin icon you want to change. This gives you the Recycle Bin (full) and Recycle Bin (empty) icons;
- Click “Change icon”. This gives you a display of all available icons;
- As soon as you find the desired icon, click “Ok”;
You can also choose a custom icon for your Recycle Bin by;
- Clicking on “Browse”;
- Navigate to the place your computer saves the custom icons;
- Go to the custom icon and select “Open”;
- Select “change icon”, pick the custom icon and click “OK”;
- Click on “Apply” and then “OK”.
Windows 8 and 8.1
If you’re using Windows 8 or 8.1, follow the steps below:
- Perform a search by pressing the “Windows + F” hotkeys;
- Type Recycle Bin in the search box;
- Choose “Settings”;
- Tap on “Show or hide common icons on the desktop to access desktop Icon settings”;
- In the “Desktop Icon” settings window that appears, click on Recycle (full) or Recycle (empty) to change its icon;
- Click “Change icon”;
- Go through all the available icons and pick one of your choice;
- Select it by clicking and press “Ok”;
- Click on “Apply” and then “Ok”.
To change the icon for the Recycle Bin on Windows 10, this is what you need to do:
- Access the “Start Menu”;
- Click “Settings”;
- Select “Personalization”;
- Click on “Theme” in the left pane of your Window;
- Navigate to the right panel of the Window to find “Related settings”;
- Under that click on “Desktop icon settings”. The Desktop icon setting allows you to configure the icon to be displayed on the desktop.
- Select Recycle Bin full icon or Recycle Bin empty icon. The Full Recycle Bin icon applies when it contains deleted files in it, while the empty one shows when it is empty;
- Click on “Change Icon” button;
- Go through all the available icons and select the one you want;
- Click OK and it’s done!
You can also click on the browse button to navigate to the folder that contains the icon file you want to use as the Recycle Bin icon. Then click “Open” to set the icon you want for the Recycle Bin.
Note that the icon you choose must be in the .ico format and not a regular image file. You can choose to convert the image file into an icon file. You can also download icons from the web for free.
If you want to restore the icon to default, select it under the “Desktop icon settings” and choose “Restore default”.
Changing your desktop icons is a way to get your computer more personalized and tailored for your own taste.
In our article, you’re given tutorials on how to change Recycle Bin icons on a variety of Windows versions, from the vintage Windows XP to the contemporary 10. It’s all very easy and straightforward, regardless of the version you’re using.