How do I find my computer’s specifications – is it easy? Stay with us and find out the best ways to do it properly.
Knowing your computer specs can be handy. Different apps and software have different requirements, and it is essential to know if your system meets the minimum requirements for running specific software.
Most of the current software, applications, and video games require up-to-date hardware and software.
If you try to run a program with higher requirements than what your computer can handle, it can slow down the system.
In worse cases, running heavy software with more significant system requirements may even result in the crashing of your system.
If you are looking to upgrade your computer, the knowledge of your system information also comes in handy.
It can provide you with a good idea of the current system you are running and decide how you want to upgrade it.
Besides, if you plan to sell your system, you must include the computer’s specs in your advertisement.
The system information will help the buyers learn about your computer and decide if they want to buy it.
Now that we have determined the importance of knowing your computer specs let’s dive into different methods that you can use to learn about them.
You can find out the details about your computer both by using the options from Windows and using different tools.
This article will explain in detail all the different ways you can use to check your computer specs.
If you have been wondering how to find your computer’s specs, please do not worry. We have got all your queries covered in this article.
Table of Contents
- How do I find my computer’s specifications?
- Wrap Up
How do I find my computer’s specifications?
Using Windows 10 Options
The Windows 10 settings provide various options and settings that you can tweak to modify your system performance.
Using the settings in your Windows 10, you can learn about your system, the processor, the installed RAM, the operating system, and the graphics card – along with other components in your computer.
Please follow the steps explained below to find the specs on your Windows 10 computer:
- Click the Windows icon and go to “Settings”;
- Then go to Settings and click “System”;
- You will come across a lot of different options. To find the system information, click “About” located at the bottom left side;
- The new window will reveal an overview of your system. The details about your system are available at the top side under the “Device specifications”, whereas the details of your Windows version are listed below under the “Windows specifications”.
The operating system in our device is Microsoft Windows 10 Home with the 64-bit version installed.
Now that you have learned how to get an overview of the specifications of your device, let’s find out the details about the different components.
How to find the details about my processor?
The processor details are available under “Device specifications” as explained in the method above.
Another way to find out about your CPU is through the Task Manager. Please follow the steps explained below to see the details about your CPU:
- Right-click on your taskbar to open different options as shown. Click on “Task Manager” to open it;
- Select the Performance tab. You will see some other details about your device here;
- Click on “CPU” to reveal the details about your processor;
- Now you’ll find the details about the processor present in your system. Those include the processor speed and other factors.
How to find the details about my RAM?
The RAM ( information is also present when you search for the details about your computer using the Task Manager. )
The image below illustrates the RAM details on our selected device:
Another way to find details about the is by searching for “RAM” in the Windows 10 search bar. By typing “RAM” there, you will see a “View RAM info” option.
Once you click “View RAM info”, you will come across the same “About” page you came across earlier when looking for your system info. Now the system information window is open in front of you.
You can check the details of your RAM under “Device specifications” on the same page.
How to find the details about my Hard Disk Drive?
You can find details about your hard drive space using the Windows 10 Options.
- Finally, you will arrive at the “About” page under “Settings”;
- Now, navigate to the storage option on the left side of your screen.
Here, you will find the details of your primary hard disk’s partition: C drive.
You can check how much free space is on your hard drive. You’ll also find the complete details of your hard drive by clicking “View storage usage on other devices”.
Now, you’ll be able to see the storage details on your entire hard drive as shown in the image below:
Another way to find those details is through the “Disk Management Option”. Search for “Disk Management” in the search bar on your taskbar, as shown below:
Now, access “Create and format hard disk partitions”. You will come across a new window that looks like the image provided below:
This window will show the complete details of your storage hardware, i.e., all the internal and external hard disk drives with all the partitions.
How to find the details about my motherboard?
Finding the details about your motherboard is somewhat different than the other methods we have seen so far.
To find the motherboard make and model, search for “System Information” in the taskbar search field.
Once you open System Information, you will find some details about your computer.
Please scroll down to see your computer motherboard details such as the Baseboard Manufacturer, Baseboard Product, and Baseboard Version.
How to find the details about my graphics card?
The GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) or graphics card (also known as a video card) is responsible for expediting graphics rendering.
Graphics cards are prevalent for gaming, video and image editing, and artificial intelligence (AI).
Some systems feature a separate graphics unit through a dedicated graphics card, while some have shared or graphics memory through an integrated graphics unit.
You can also find out the details about the installed graphics card in your system.
- To find out about the graphics card in your device, go to “This PC”;
- Now, access “Properties”. A new window will pop up with details about your computer. The new window will also show some PC specifications, including CPU and RAM information;
- Click “Device Manager” on the top left side; The Device Manager provides all the system information. It shows the details of all the hardware attached to your computer;
- The complete hardware information is available on the device manager. Navigate to “Display adapters” and click to expand it.
In our selected model, you can see that the graphics card is an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M. The other display adapter is the integrated graphics unit.
Using the free utility CPU-Z
CPU-Z is a free utility that you can use to check for your computer specs and general system information. You can download CPU-Z by going to this particular link.
Depending on your operating system, run the 32-bit or 64-bit version of the program.
CPU-Z will ask permission to run, and upon allowing, it will show your computer specifications.
You will see an interface similar to the following image:
- The first tab indicates CPU and details all information related to your processor;
- To check the details about your system’s motherboard, please click the “Mainboard” tab in CPU-Z;
- Access the “Memory” tab to find out about the installed RAM in your system;
- If you want to learn whether your computer features a dedicated graphics card or not, please click the “Graphics” tab in CPU-Z. The graphics tab will also give information about the GPU’s memory along with the manufacturer and model, as shown below.
The selected model for the purpose of this article has both shared and dedicated graphics, and CPU-Z shows the details about both.
Using the free program Speccy
is another free app similar to -Z. It can also help you find out details about your and get a particular . You can download Speccy for free here.
After installing Speccy 64 or 32-bit, depending on your system, you can launch it.
Speccy will provide you with detailed specs of your computer hardware and operating system.
After launching Speccy, you will see an image similar to the one below:
As you can see, all the details about your computer operating system and hardware are now in front of you.
If you want to learn about the system specs and hardware components on your laptop or desktop in detail, you can click the relevant tabs on the left side.
It’s handy to know how to access the information about your computer’s specifications, including Windows version, processor, graphics card, RAM, hard drive, etc.
This article explained some ways to find more information about your system hardware on a Windows 10 computer.
The system info and system summary can be seen by using options from Windows 10 or by installing some free third-party programs.
You can generate the system report using Speccy or CPU-Z.
The knowledge of system information is essential if you want to upgrade or run a new program on your device.
Check out some of our other awesome articles:
- How to check the LCD refresh rate in Windows 10
- Turning off mouse acceleration in Windows 10
- Changing Windows 10 default folder view
- How can I sort folders by size in Windows 10?
- How to fix Windows 10 night light when it’s not working
- Windows 10: the pros and cons of using it
- Deleting backup files in Windows 10
- Changing the screensaver in Windows 10
- How do I change folder icons in Windows 10?
- Guide to install Windows without losing data
- How can I create a Windows 10 backup image?
- Blocking programs from accessing the internet in Windows 10
- Turning on/off Airplane Mode in Windows 10
- How to run programs as administrator in Windows 10?