How can I get external RAM for laptop or PC? In this article, we’ll get into that and also a lot more related stuff.
Over time, as you put your PC or laptop to use, there is a likelihood that its performance will drop. When it drops, don’t just see it as a regular thing that you have to live with.
Getting additional RAM can be a great way to upgrade your computer memory.
Can I get external RAM for laptop or PC?
An upgrade to its RAM might just be all it needs to pick up again. Now, many people have asked if they can get external RAM for their laptop or PC to boost the performance of their computer system. The answer to that is a very clear “No”.
You can get an external hard drive to provide more storage for the files on your internal storage drive but there’s no similar solution for adding a RAM card or RAM stick.
The purpose of RAM in the computer is to send data to the processor in the shortest possible time. And to do it effectively, the RAM must be physically close to the processor.
If adding a RAM module externally were in any way possible, you would need either an expansion cable or connector, in which case, you might just end up creating an SSD (Solid State Drive). So, you cannot add extra RAM externally. Therefore, if the RAM is not internal, it just won’t work.
However, all hope is not lost, as it is still possible to add more RAM to your PC to boost its performance. Below, we will look at the steps you can take to get more RAM for your computer.
First off, your laptop design determines whether a laptop RAM upgrade is possible or not. Every laptop is built differently, and it’s almost impossible to say if you can upgrade the RAM of a particular computer or not. But we can tell you that it’s easier to service budget laptops than ultra-thin premium models.
For instance, Apple laptops only work with proprietary parts that are soldered to the motherboard, while Microsoft’s Surface devices are sealed shut. Thus, if by chance you have a laptop with upgradeable RAM, below are the steps to do that.
How much RAM should your laptop have?
If you are running a full-service operating system like Windows 10, the bare minimum amount of RAM you should consider is 4GB. Windows 10 will use at least 1GB or 2GB of your RAM, but once applications begin to run, the remaining RAM, if not much, may not be able to deliver the best performance.
So, we recommend 8GB RAM for optimal performance, especially if you are running more taxing applications and software.
To know how much RAM your PC can use, first check your Windows version to see if it can handle a RAM Upgrade. Simply press Windows Key + Pause on your keyboard to check your operating system’s properties.
If it is a 32-bit operating system, your version of Windows only supports up to 4GB of RAM. If you’re using a 64-bit operating system, you can install up to 128GB RAM (for Windows 10 Home), 2TB (for Windows 10 Pro or Windows 10 Education), or event 6TB (for Windows 10 Enterprise for Workstations or Windows 10 Enterprise).
How to install RAM on your laptop
- Shut down the laptop completely and unplug it from the power source;
- Remove the laptop’s bottom to gain access to the memory bay. Usually, disassembling instructions are often available in the product’s service manual or the manufacturer’s website;
- Discharge all built-up static electricity by touching a metal object. A file cabinet can do this, and if you are cautious, you can use an antistatic wrist strap;
- Most laptops come with two RAM slots and in some cases you will have to remove the old RAM to install the new one. Check for a lever or button that you can press, or just tug at the RAM cards and see if they budge;
- Line up the new RAM cards with the notch in the RAM socket and press it firmly. Locate a nub in the slot and see if the small notch in the memory module matches with it. Install the memory model once the notch matches the nub;
- Return the bottom panel and turn your laptop on. Press “Windows key + Pause” to check if your operating system is recognizing your RAM. The System Properties window will pop up, and your RAM should be listed next to “Physical Memory”.
To boost your laptop’s RAM, you need to ensure that you check all the necessary steps while following the best practice in line with your computer’s hardware and software requirements.
If you have been wondering if you can get external RAM for PC, we hope this article answers your question and gives you more insight on how to increase the memory.