If you have been wondering how to uninstall Avast Antivirus in Windows 10 because of the constant pop-up ads on your Windows screen, this guide covers some of the best ways to remove it easily.
Avast Free Antivirus is one of the most comprehensive programs that provide excellent security against external threats and keeps the device up-to-date.
The no-cost software offers real-time protection of files and includes a web shield that allows safe browsing.
Many Windows users often combine the Avast Free Antivirus with the built-in Microsoft Defender to provide an extra layer of protection to their device.
With that being said, like any other security application, Avast has some shortcomings as well.
Table of Contents
- How to uninstall Avast Antivirus in Windows 10
- Typical problems with Avast Antivirus
- Wrap up
How to uninstall Avast Antivirus in Windows 10
You can effortlessly uninstall Avast antivirus either manually or by using third-party apps. However, remember removing this software will compromise your device’s safety and make it more vulnerable.
There are some alternatives you may want to try, like Norton Antivirus, Avira Antivirus, etc.
Using Control Panel to uninstall Avast Antivirus
The first and foremost method you can go through to uninstall Avast antivirus is using your computer’s Control Panel app.
Nevertheless, the software offers a built-in self-defense mode that prevents its removal. So, to uninstall this malicious software, you need to first disable the self-defense mode in the following manner:
- Open the Avast Antivirus app;
- Tap on “Menu” on the top right corner of the window, followed by “Settings“;
- In the settings window, switch to the “Troubleshooting” tab;
- Uncheck the box beside the “Enable Self-Defense” option;
- A “Self-defense Off” pop-up will appear on the screen asking about confirmation. Select “OK, disable”, and close the app.
Once you’ve turned off the “Self-defense” protection in the antivirus software, it’s time to uninstall it using the Control Panel:
- Go to the Windows search bar, type “Control Panel“, and hit the “Enter” key to launch the app;
- In Control Panel, “click Uninstall a program” below the “Programs” options;
- Scroll down to find the “Avast Free Antivirus” software in the list. As soon as you select the app, an “uninstall” option will appear on the screen. Click on it to begin the uninstallation process;
- Say “Yes” to the UAC prompt. This will take you to the Avast configuration screen, having options like “Repair”, “Update”, “Modify”, and “Uninstall”;
- Click “Uninstall“. At this point, you may get a survey screen inquiring about the reason behind your decision. You can either tick the relevant options or simply skip the survey;
- A confirmation window will pop up on your computer screen. Select “Yes“. The uninstallation process could last for a few minutes since it will uninstall all the Avast files located inside your Windows 10 PC;
- Once the process is completed, you’ll be prompted to restart your computer. Tap on the “Restart Computer” button to completely remove Avast from your Windows PC.
Using Avast uninstall utility to uninstall Avast Antivirus
Although the above process does uninstall the main Avast software and its files, your PC might still contain some Avast files that could slow down your computer or pose other problems.
For this, a proper clean-up through Avast uninstaller utility is recommended, as removing the files manually might potentially harm your PC.
Here’s how you can utilize the “Avast Clear Utility” to uninstall this stubborn malware:
- Visit the Avast website to download the “avastclear.exe” file;
- Once downloaded, right-click on the application and select the “Run as administrator” option;
- Tap “Yes” on the user account control prompt;
- A window will appear on the screen recommending you to start Windows in Safe Mode. Say “Yes” to the suggestion. If your PC doesn’t automatically boot into safe mode, you can manually enable safe mode in Windows Settings;
- In the Avast Uninstall Utility window, tap on the “Change” button to locate the Avast program files. If you’re unsure about the location, simply leave the default location and “click Uninstall“;
- After the process is finished, restart your device to confirm the changes.
Using third-party apps to uninstall Avast Antivirus
The above-mentioned processes are the most typical and recommended ways of eliminating the antivirus software from your computer.
Nonetheless, there are special software uninstallers designed for this task, such as CCleaner, IObit, Wise, Revo Uninstaller, etc.
The best thing about these uninstallers is that you can download them from the internet for free. Here are two examples of reliable Avast Uninstallers:
The IObit utility is powerful software that helps Microsoft Windows users get rid of unwanted apps and malicious plug-ins from the browsers.
Moreover, it also protects your surfing experience by allowing you to disable repeated spam messages from internet sites.
Most importantly, the uninstaller is compatible with all versions of Windows (11, 10, 8.1, 8, 7, Vista, XP).
- Visit the official IObit website and download the latest version of the IObit Uninstaller;
- Open the freeware and check the apps that you want to uninstall in the “All Programs” tab;
- Now, select Avast and its products like Avast secure browser, etc;
- Next, click on the “Uninstall” button at the top corner of the window;
- A new window will open up asking for confirmation for removing the selected program. To permanently remove Avast antivirus from your PC, check the “Automatically remove residual files” option and then click “Uninstall“;
- The uninstaller will take a few minutes to clean your computer from the unnecessary files. The final step is to restart the system to ensure all the changes have taken effect.
CCleaner is another secure and free resource that can help you delete malware from your computer. The app also offers two paid versions for additional benefits; however, the free one is enough for removing programs and browsing data.
Here’s how you can use this application to uninstall Avast app bundleware:
- Download and launch CCleaner on your device;
- Switch to the “Tools” tab and then click the “Uninstall” option;
- Find and select the programs you want to uninstall and hit the “Uninstall” button;
- Tap “Yes” on the Avast configuration screen to start the deletion process;
- Wait for the uninstallation is complete and restart your PC as recommended;
- Re-run the CCleaner utility and click on “Scan for Issues” in the “Registry tab“;
- A list of issues will show up on the screen. Click on “Fix/Review selected issues” to resolve those issues;
- Click “No” on the backup registry prompt. The uninstallation will start, and your device will be free from the Avast anti virus application and its related files.
Typical problems with Avast Antivirus
One of the most common issues faced by Avast users is that the software slows down the computer and results in a considerable performance drop.
It interferes with other programs and stops them from running smoothing. This happens because, when you download Avast antivirus, it doesn’t get downloaded as a single software but rather as a bundleware.
Also, the in-depth checks it consistently performs in the background require a high CPU usage.
Moreover, users are particularly concerned since the reports stating Avast antivirus has been spying on its users and sharing their personal information with marketing companies had made rounds on the internet.
Whatever the case may be, it’s best to take precautionary measures and review your device’s privacy settings to stop your favorite software from spying on you.
Furthermore, many people often complain of getting a black screen error when they try to launch the Avast antivirus app. In addition, other error messages like “Avast Antivirus not updating” and “Avast doesn’t trust the installer” also compromises the app’s performance.
While many error messages could be easily resolved, some issues are persistent and become a regular source of frustration for the users.
If you are also struggling with the same issues, you can either troubleshoot these issues or say goodbye to the Avast Free Antivirus software.
Although helpful in protecting Windows devices against virus attacks and other malware, there are times when you may get tired of the repeated ads and bloatware that accompany the Avast Antivirus software.
In times like these, it’s best to disable Avast using the above-described uninstallation methods and look for other reliable alternatives.
Remember, uninstalling Avast may leave your device more susceptible to various viruses and spyware, so you may want to look out for other alternatives to enhance your Windows security.Check out some of our other awesome articles: