How to transfer photos from iPhone to Google Drive? The great thing about technology today is that you can take photos and videos from your smartphone and store them safely in the cloud.
If anything happens to your mobile device, you know your memories are kept safe. Like many, you might wonder how to transfer photos from iPhone to Google Drive or even how to download videos from Google Drive to iPhone. We are going to look at answering these questions and how to keep your memories safe and organized.
Nowadays, we take photos of everything. Not just the good times we want to remember. It could be your shopping list, the masterpiece dinner you cooked, even where you parked your car. And to add to all of that, there are the photos that people send you and you want to keep.
Before you know it, you have hundreds of images and no storage left on your iPhone. It’s time for a cleanup!
How to transfer photos from iPhone to Google Drive
Difference between Google Drive and Google Photos
It can be confusing as both are applications from Google that will manage photos. When you enable your iPhone to sync with Google Photos you will have an additional gallery on your phone where you can easily organize and backup pictures. Photos that you take are then automatically reflected in Google Photos.
Google Drive is a cloud storage service that allows you to upload photos, videos, and numerous other types of files. You have 15BG of free storage with your Google account, which is shared across Google Drive, Gmail, and Google Photos. However, if you chose to upload photos and videos in Google’s high-quality format, you have unlimited storage.
What are the advantages of transferring photos from iPhone to Google Drive?
- If you choose the High-Quality upload, you have unlimited storage;
- Google High-Quality compresses and reduces the size of your photos to 16Mp with little or no difference in image quality;
- It creates Stories and GIFs;
- Google is powered by the latest AI and allows you to search for things in images;
- With deep-learning capabilities, it recognizes faces;
- Everything uploaded onto Google Drive is easily accessible from any device;
- Sharing photos and videos with other people is easy.
How to upload photos to Google Drive from iPhone
This process is very simple and you don’t need to have any tech experience to go through it. The procedure is the same for iPhones and iPads:
- From your device, open your Google Drive App;
- Sign in if you aren’t already;
- Tap on the “+” button;
- Select “Upload”;
- This will take you to your gallery and you can begin to select the photos and videos that you want to store in your Google Drive;
- Once you have chosen all the files, click on “Upload”.
If you want an alternative method from your Apple laptop or desktop, you can click on this link. It will open your Google Drive account. From your computer, you can drag and drop photos, videos, and folders you have created to upload.
How to download video from Google Drive to iPhone
In some cases, you might want to do things the other way around. The process is also very straightforward and is the same for photos and videos.
Before you go ahead, make sure you have the Google Photos app installed on your iPhone or iPad. You can download it here. You will also need to make sure that you have syncing enabled.
- Open the Google Drive app from your iPhone or iPad;
- Click on the Menu or Settings button;
- Select Google Photos and turn on “Auto Add”;
- Select the “Back” button;
- Open your Google Photos app and select the video, photo, or folder you wish to download;
- Select “Download”.
If you want to download all of your videos and photos, click on the three vertical dots, choose “Select all”, and then “Download”.
The Google Photos app will tell you the status of your photo and video upload. This is one of the simplest ways to find out what the issue might be. From your iPhone or iPad, you can open your Google Photos app and tap on your account profile. You may see messages such as:
- Backup is off – You need to permit syncing by switching Backup to on;
- Waiting for connection/waiting for Wi-Fi -It’s always best to start the process when you have a strong internet connection;
- Preparing Backup – This is frequent when you have selected a large number of photos or videos.
When the backup is complete you’ll be notified it has been successful.
Sometimes, you may need to check how much storage your have left available and whether you have Original or High-Quality uploads selected. Remember, if you upload videos and photos in their original format, those will take up part of your 15GB storage space. Click here to check how much storage space you have available and to change your settings.
No matter which way you look at it, Google Photos and Google Drive are essential for everyday smartphone life. Once you have learned how to upload photos to Google Drive from iPhone, you will have access to an excellent range of features to help you share and organize all of your memories.
As there is no huge difference between the image quality when you choose High-Quality upload, we highly recommend this option for unlimited storage of your photos and videos.