In today’s article, we’re going over how to remove headers and footers in Google Docs so you can do it properly. The use of headers can add value to your report or article in terms of organization, and also provide more information
A header in a document appears on the top of each page. You can position it according to your requirement.
You can add some additional information to a report, such as an author name, project title, chapter title, or company logo.
There are different styles and formatting that you can use to do a little bit of customization with your headers.
Headers may also provide organization in terms of date, page numbers, or headings. Lastly, headers give a professional touch to the document.
Similar to Microsoft Word, Google Docs also provides the option to add headers to your articles. Adding a header to a Google Docs file is straightforward while removing it can be a bit tricky.
In this article, we will teach you how to get rid of headers on Google Docs.
Table of Contents
- How to add headers in Google Docs
- How to remove header in Google Docs
- How to remove footer in Google Docs
- Wrap Up
How to add headers in Google Docs
Before learning how to remove them, let’s find out how to add headers to Google Docs. As discussed above, headers bring clarity to a document.
Most academic articles include the use of headers to keep the information organized.
Adding a header to a Google Docs document is a straightforward process, similar to Microsoft Word.
To insert a header to a Google Docs document, click “Insert” > “Headers & Footers” > “Headers”, as shown in the image below:
Then you can write the header as shown in the image below:
You can alter the size, format, and position of the header by using the regular taskbar in Google Docs.
How to remove header in Google Docs
How to delete the header in Google Docs is what we’re covering now. Removing headers in Google Docs is also a straightforward procedure.
However, the critical thing to note is that headers in Google Docs cannot be removed via the mobile app.
You can remove the text in the header, but the header will remain, which may affect the formatting of your document.
You can delete a header on the desktop version, using either of the two following methods:
Deleting the header text
To remove the header text in Google Docs, double-click the header in your document. The cursor will blink, and you can now edit the text.
To remove the text, use the backspace key on your keyboard, as shown in the images below:
Removing the header via options
Want to know how to remove the header from Google Docs via options?
To remove the header in your Google Docs document, go through the following steps:
- Double-click the header. The header is now editable;
- To delete the header, left-click the “Options” to reveal different options;
- Click “Remove header” as depicted in the image below:
As you can see, the header in the Google Docs is now deleted:
How to remove footer in Google Docs
If you want to learn how to delete the footer in Google Docs, we let you know that the entire process is the same as removing the header.
Removing the footer via options
To get rid of the footer in your Google Docs document is very simple:
- Start by double-clicking it;
- Notice the footer is now editable;
- To delete it completely, left-click the “Options” to reveal different options;
- Then hit “Remove footer”.
You can also use the menu as shown in this article’s first image.
Google Docs is a great utility from Google that is completely free to use. It offers powerful word processing and document editing features.
The features that Google Docs provides are similar to those offered by Microsoft Word. This document explained in detail how to get rid of a header on Google Docs.
Check out some of our other awesome articles:
- How can I flip an image in Google Docs
- Creating two columns in Google Docs
- Creating a graph on Google Docs
- How can I delete a page in Google Docs
- How to use Google Docs real-time chat
- How can I insert shapes in Google Docs?
- Google Drive and Google Docs: what is the difference?
- How to delete Google Drive contents
- Moving photos from Google Photos to Google drive and vice-versa
- Transfer Google Photos to a new account
- How to change the location of Google Drive folder
- Cloud storage: The best alternatives to Google Drive
- How can I change my Google business address
- How to download photos and albums from Google Photos
- Differences between Gmail and a Google Account
- Recover permanently deleted photos from Google Photos and Drive
- Google Docs ownership – How to transfer?
- Can I still get 100GB free on Google Drive?
- Editing photos with Google Drive
- Google Photos vs Google Drive