Knowing how to move or hide the taskbar in Windows 10 can be pretty useful.
The taskbar is the rectangular section that appears on the bottom of your computer screen by default.
As the name suggests, it provides you access to the Windows Start Menu, your most-used programs for regular tasks, and a notification section along with some basic info such as time and date.
If you’re a Windows 10 user who loves customizing folders, panels, and toolbars in your PC so that the display appears special, then you’re lucky.
When we talk specifically about the taskbar, Windows operating system gives you a huge variety of customization options to choose from.
Table of Contents
- How to move or hide the taskbar in Windows 10
- Wrap Up
How to move or hide the taskbar in Windows 10
Want to change the size or the taskbar position? Well, being a Windows 10 user has its perks and yes, your operating system allows you to do that.
As a matter of fact, Windows 10 gives you many more customization options for the taskbar and we shall be covering the basics in this read.
Let us start by guiding you on how to change the taskbar’s position.
How to move the taskbar in Windows 10
We mentioned previously that the Windows taskbar is by default pinned to the bottom of the screen horizontally. However, that can be changed easily. How? Allow us to show you:
- Right-click from the mouse on your taskbar from anywhere then uncheck the “Lock the taskbar” option;
- Now that the taskbar is free, it can be dragged in any of the three directions. Click on it then drag the cursor towards the top/right/left side of the screen and release it;
- The taskbar will now be positioned at the side you chose. You can keep it this way by right-clicking on it again and locking it;
There’s another way of achieving the same results but it doesn’t include dragging and dropping the taskbar.
- Right-click on the taskbar and then on “Taskbar settings” in the context menu;
- On the taskbar settings menu, click on the box under “Taskbar location on screen” and it will expand below;
- Now you may choose whether you want your taskbar on the bottom, right, left, or top.
Quite easy, right? There’s much more that can be done with the taskbar though. Let us continue exploring other basic taskbar modifications.
Resizing the taskbar
Yes, the taskbar can be resized as well.
However, there’s a limit to it since you don’t want it covering the entire screen space, but the taskbar area can be extended enough to cover almost half the size of your display area.
Just unlock the taskbar like we showed you before and hover the cursor on its border.
Once the mouse pointer turns into a two-headed arrow, click and expand as much as you want.
This taskbar option is great if you want more icons visible there. More icons mean more shortcut space.
At the end of the day, it depends on your preference of how quicker access you want through the bar.
How to hide the taskbar in Windows 10
Just like some users want their taskbar customized, some prefer a hidden taskbar.
The taskbar auto-hide feature can be useful if you’re working with a small-sized screen, to maximize the viewing area with a full-screen mode.
If you want to auto-hide the taskbar, then we are here to help you out with that. The taskbar can be hidden through the following method:
- Navigate towards “Taskbar settings” once again by right-clicking on it to access the taskbar window;
- See that On/Off button under “Automatically hide the taskbar in desktop mode”? Toggle it on;
- The taskbar will now disappear from your screen. It will only show if you bring your mouse cursor to the Windows screen’s bottom.
Your Windows 10 taskbar can also be modified in many other ways but those modifications are for another article.
For now, you can resize, move, or hide your taskbar through the simple sets of instructions given above.
Enjoy maximizing productivity by having the taskbar at the right place and at the right time.
Check out some of our other awesome articles:
- Changing the language in Windows 10
- How to show the battery percentage in Windows 10?
- How to convert a JPG image to PDF format
- Changing Windows 10 default folder view
- How can I sort folders by size in Windows 10?
- How to fix Windows 10 night light when it’s not working
- How do I change folder icons in Windows 10?