In this article, you’re going to learn how to make a graph on Google Docs. Google Docs is a great document editing platform for those looking to do some quick work. It is a free product by Google and has most of the options that you may require in a program like this.
There are some advanced features missing that you would most likely find on popular software like Microsoft Word, but for most people, Google Docs works perfectly fine. Also, other options may be quite expensive.
How to make a graph on Google Docs
One of the many features of Google Docs is that you can add a graph to your document. This can be handy especially when you are writing about something that may need a visual representation.
But there is a catch. You can’t add a graph on Google Docs directly. You will have to use another popular Google app known as Google Sheets. Don’t worry though, it is extremely easy to do. Let’s take a look at the steps on how you can do so.
How to make a bar graph on Google Docs
Learning how to make a bar graph on Google Docs is easy, just follow the steps below:
- Open up Google Docs on your computer;
- Now, you can select an existing document or create a new one by clicking on the colorful “+” sign;
- Next, click on “File” on the top menu. A drop-down menu will appear;
- Then, you need to click on “New” and next click “Spreadsheet”;
- This will open up a new tab with a Google Sheet page;
- On this new page, you can fill all your data for which you need to make a bar graph;
- Once you’ve entered the data into the cells, you need to highlight these cells and then click on “Insert”. A drop-down menu will pop-up;
- Then click on “Chart”;
- A chart will open up containing the graphical representation of your data. By default, it will be in a “column chart” format. We will change this in the next step;
- Click under “Chart type” on the right side of your screen. A drop-down menu will appear containing all the different chart types that you can use for your chart. Scroll down to the “Bar” section, where you will find three options – Bar chart, Stacked bar chart, 100% stacked bar chart. Click on any of these three. It will change your chart to a bar graph;
- Now, click on your bar graph chart and press the “Ctrl + C” keys on the keyboard. This will copy the chart to the clipboard;
- Head back to your Google Docs document, place the cursor at the appropriate place, and press the “Ctrl + V” keys on the keyboard. You will be presented with a paste option. You can either keep your chart linked to the original spreadsheet or you can keep it unlinked. If your data will need changes in the future, you should go with the former option;
- Your chart will finally be pasted into your Google Docs document.
How to make a line graph in Google Docs
Now that you know how to create a bar graph, learning how to make a line graph on google docs is pretty easy. All you have to do is make one single change. Let’s take a look at what you need to do.
You may follow the procedure above until the 9th step. Then, in the 10th step, scroll down to the “Line” section and under it choose a wanted option. Your graph will now be a line graph. The remaining steps are the same as mentioned above.
Google Docs is a very versatile tool and lets you easily insert graphs into your documents by using Google Sheets. We hope this simple tutorial has been helpful to you.