Have you forgotten your WiFi key and you don’t know how to get a WiFi password from a computer? Have you been looking for ways to retrieve it?
Say no more! This guide explains three easy ways of password recovery in times of need.
In the modern era, Wi-Fi has taken over the digital world. It has become a staple in our homes, offices, and institutes.
Therefore, the password holds prime importance as it is the foremost thing you need to connect any gadget to the Internet.
Wi-Fi connects to computers via the router. The router is a wireless device that transmits signals to computers and mobile devices.
Table of Contents
- How to get a WiFi password from a computer
- Wrap up
How to get a WiFi password from a computer
Generally, people connect their computers to the router via a default password written at the back of the wireless router, and later they change it according to their preference.
However, the trouble arises when you need to connect the Wi-Fi to another device, but you can’t remember the saved WiFi password.
This can happen if a long period has passed without a password update.
Fortunately, there are several ways in Windows 10 through which you can get access to your Wi-Fi password.
Getting the Wi-Fi password through Windows Settings
Windows 10 has a way that let you retrieve your Wi-Fi password. The steps are basic and incredibly easy to follow:
- Click on the Windows icon located on the taskbar to open the Start Menu. From there, tap on the “Settings” app;
- A window will pop up, navigate to the “Network & Internet” option;
- In there, under the “View your active networks” section, select your Wi-Fi name, which is adjacent to “Connections“;
- The above step will lead you to a tab, which will show several details of your particular Wi-Fi connection. Scroll down and click on “Wireless Properties” located at the bottom right of the tab;
- Now, go to the “Security tab“, which is present alongside connections. A window will appear giving details of your Wi Fi password;
- At last, tick off the “Show Characters” box to have access to a Wi Fi password. After checking the “Network security key” box, dots will convert to characters and reveal your Wi-Fi password. You may change the password from here if you want to.
Finding the Wi-Fi password straight from Control Panel in a Windows computer
The above-stated method is an accurate way to get hold of your wireless password. However, the downside of the above method is that it has many steps. Users may find it hard to remember every one of each.
So to avoid this hustle, Windows 10 offers another method to view WiFi passwords. With fewer steps, this method is regarded as the quickest and easiest one to view saved WiFi passwords.
- This method uses the “Run command” to get straight to the WiFi network Settings. For this, you have to press the “Windows key + R” simultaneously, which leads you to the “Run Dialogue“;
- A window will open in whose textbox you should type “ncpa.cpl“. Then press “OK“. In the Control Panel, this command will immediately open your Wi-Fi network connection;
- This will open another window where you’ll find a “Wi-Fi” option at the top left of the screen. Navigate your cursor to the Wi-Fi and right-click to view several options. Scroll to the “Status” option;
- This will lead to a Wi-Fi general information window. Find the “Wireless Properties” option and select to reach the WiFi connection page. From here, select the “Security tab“.
- In the “Network Security Key” box, the password is in the dotted form. To get to know the characters of the Wi-Fi password, you need to tick the “Show Characters” box. Eventually, the password will reveal itself. Here, you can make any amendments to the Wi-Fi password if you want.
Finding password using Router-Web interface
This method is particularly convenient for those who don’t want to go through the hassle of many steps.
In this method, you need to visit the IP address, which is usually written on the back of the router.
And following the methods on the website, you may access your wireless network password.
Most of the time, people tend to forget the Wi-Fi passwords of their routers, which leads to a lot of frustration and waste of time.
Therefore, to cut this hassle, you can go through the above-stated ways of changing the Wi-Fi network password.
However, for these methods to work, you have to make sure that you have a stable Wi-Fi connection and your Windows 10 PC can connect to the Wi-Fi router.
Check out some of our other awesome articles:
- Is it possible to run two VPNs simultaneously?
- Is it legal to use VPNs in the USA?
- Seeing other computers in a network in Windows 10
- What connects your computer to the internet?
- Enabling virtualization in Windows 10
- Changing Windows 10 default folder view
- How can I sort folders by size in Windows 10?
- How to fix Windows 10 night light when it’s not working
- Blocking programs from accessing the internet in Windows 10