How to disable Windows Update Medic Service? Windows OS does a great job of automatically handling your software updates in the background. Since it is the most popular operating system in the world for personal computers, Microsoft needs to push regular updates to upgrade its security.
New features are also added consistently. All of this happens through the Windows Update service which works great most of the time. However, on rare occasions, there can be some issues in this service too.
When this happens, other services are called upon to repair Windows Update. Those services start running in the background to bring Windows Update back online.
What is Windows Update Medic Service
One of the most important services in this regard is the Windows Update Medic Service (WaasMedic) that was introduced with the release of Windows 10. It runs in the background and looks for file inconsistencies in the Windows Update service, fixing them. Since updates are important in Windows, this service must keep working as intended.
So, why would you want to have the Windows Update Medic Service disable if it’s so important? Well, there are times and situations where you may want to pause getting new Windows updates.
After all, getting frequent updates might get annoying, take up mobile data resources at times you have a strict data limit, or may even be causing some issues with your computer.
To stop receiving those updates, you need to disable the Medic Service. Otherwise, it will restart automatic updates again. So, let’s take a look at how to disable it first.
How to disable Windows Update Medic Service
You can simply follow the below-listed steps in the exact same order and you will be able to disable the mentioned service. Just refer to the screenshots if you need to know exactly what to do.
- To start, you will need to download third-party software before you begin the procedure. One of the best tools out there for this purpose is Windows Update Blocker. Click on this link and download it to your computer;
- Double click on the downloaded folder titled “Wub”. Inside, you will find another folder titled “Wub”. Double click on it. Inside the folder, you will find three files. Double click on the “Wub” application file;
- You will be prompted to extract files. Click on “Extract All”. On the next window that appears, click on “Extract”. It will extract the required files in the same location where you downloaded it;
- Now, double click on this extracted folder titled “Wub”. Inside, you will find another folder titled “Wub”. Double click on it. Inside it, you will find three files. Double click on the “Wub” application file;
- A small pop-up window from the application will be shown. Click on “Menu”;
- A drop-down menu will appear. Click on “Windows Services”;
- A new window will pop-up with a list of a whole bunch of Windows services;
- In this list, find “Windows Update Medic Service” and double click on it. Next, copy the service’s name. It will be “WaaSMedicSvc”;
- Now, go back to the folder that had the three files in it and double click on the “.ini” file titled “Wub”;
- The file will open in Notepad. Under “dosvc=2,4” line, paste “WaaSMedicSvc=3,4” without the quotation marks;
- Open Windows Update Blocker and click on the “Apply now” button.
Disabling Medic Service is necessary if you want to avoid receiving new updates through Windows Update. Those may be taking a lot from your mobile data plan or even causing trouble to your computer.
In this article, you were able to find a simple way to do it by installing a trustable third-party app and go through some easy steps.