Facebook, Twitter, and other social media platforms are making the headlines every day. YouTube is no stranger to it, either; it’s the greatest video streaming channel in the world and the second search engine after Google. However, sometimes you may run into difficulties with your video.
The insane advances in technology during the last decade meant that many became content creators. With not much more than their smartphone, a YouTube user can create an audience and grow their YouTube subscribers.
Table of Contents
- How to reupload a YouTube video
- Frequently Asked Questions – FAQs
- What is the limit of YouTube video upload?
- Is there any limit to uploading videos on YouTube?
- Can I upload 1-hour video to YouTube?
- What is the best time of day to upload a YouTube video?
- What is the best video resolution for YouTube upload?
- Does YouTube charge to upload videos?
- How long do YouTube videos take to upload?
- Can we edit YouTube video after upload?
- Is it possible to upload YouTube video in WhatsApp Status?
- Who is the first person to upload a video on YouTube?
- Can I upload vertical video to YouTube?
- Can you upload YouTube video from phone?
- Why does my YouTube video only have 360p?
- Wrap Up
Whether it is because of legal reasons, copyright claims, accidental uploads, or even just you wanting to change something in the video – maybe it didn’t turn out the way you were expecting.
A question many users are asking is how to reupload a YouTube video. If any of this sounds familiar to you, then you’re at the right place.
In this article, we’ll be getting an insight into how to reupload a YouTube video. But more importantly, we’ll be talking about how you can solve the problem you’re facing. Read on for the full details.
How to reupload a YouTube video
Okay so, right off the bat: the first thing you need to know is that there is no way to “reupload” a YouTube video per se.
There’s a slight technicality in terms that needs to be understood. What we’re trying to say is that whenever you “upload” a video, you get a completely new URL and identity for that video.
That means that you can’t directly change a video for another. What you can do is delete one and add a new one, but it won’t be the same video.
So if you’re looking to take down a video you already have on YouTube and then upload it again with some changes keeping its data, sorry, that won’t work.
Yes, you’ll lose all of these existing video data:
- view count;
- YouTube link (the URL to that video);
- viewer comments;
- custom thumbnail;
- likes on the video.
If you take down a video, you lose those metrics on it. And the new video you upload is a totally new video, even if you upload the same original video file.
Whenever you’re uploading videos, YouTube takes them as new unique content.
Note: When you delete a video, all associated data that affects your account overall, such as “Watch Time” will still be included in the overall statistics of your YouTube account. However, although retained and still considered by the YouTube algorithm, this information will no longer be linked to the video you deleted.
We hope you got that clear.
Despite that, we do have a few options for you.
Reupload the entire video
If you need to make major changes to your video and are fine with giving up the interactive data we just mentioned, then you’ve got a pretty easy path ahead of you.
Step 1: Delete the old video. Follow the below instructions on how you can do this:
- Go to YouTube Studio. This is where you have full control over your YouTube channel and the ability to manage everything;
- Log into the account where you uploaded the video you want to reupload;
- On the left side of your screen, you will see a vertical menu. Select “Videos” to display all of your uploaded videos;
- Move your cursor to the burger icon (the three vertical dots) of the video you want to reupload. Select “More” from this option;
- Choose “Delete Forever”.
Once you have selected this option, YouTube will almost immediately prevent your video from being located anywhere on the channel. The process of removing it completely may take a few more minutes, depending upon your Internet connection and the video content.
Step 2: Make the changes to the original video file. YouTube will not save a copy of the deleted video for you, so it’s always a good idea to keep your original video in a place where you can easily access it, like Google Drive, for example. If you have already made the changes and have the newer version of your video ready to be uploaded, then disregard this step.
Step 3: Upload the newer version of your video. Simply follow your preferred method to upload – whether directly through the YouTube uploader or by using third-party software.
Your should be uploaded as a !
If you have a , you can submit it now.
The steps are also similar using the .
Edit the current video
If you don’t want to lose your video’s performance and require minimal changes to be made, then your best bet is to edit the video directly. The option to do this is in the YouTube editor which is called YouTube Studio, by selecting the uploaded video you want to edit. Another way is to simply go to “View More” directly after opening your own video.
Here’s the extent of what you can edit in an existing YouTube video without taking it down:
- Cropping/trimming: You can easily cut out parts of your video that you don’t want in it, and not just from the beginning and ends. YouTube’s trimming tool lets you cut out parts even from the middle of your video and leave it uploaded with the same URL.
- Adding/removing cards: Cards are the boxes that appear at the end of your video and can be used to link out to other videos, your own or those of your sponsor, for example.
- Changing title and description: Correcting your video’s title is best done through editing your video. You can also make changes to the description and add or remove content this way.
Dealing with copyright
One of the most common reasons for wanting to reupload a video to YouTube is because of copyright infringement. Ideally, you would want to remove the part of the video with a potential copyright claim, and then upload it again as your original content. Here are a few brief overviews on how this works:
- If you want to upload a video that already belongs to somebody else, YouTube will let you do that. However, if the owner finds your video and submits a copyright claim, it would mean bad news for your channel, especially if you have prior strikes. You would be better off deleting the video altogether in this case.
- If you are using music or partial copyright in a video, the same thing could happen to you. By default, YouTube will try to identify the copyright being used and may limit your video from being broadcasted in certain countries or areas with stricter copyright regulations. This will be shown to you, as seen below:
Frequently Asked Questions – FAQs
What is the limit of YouTube video upload?
The maximum size of a video upload to YouTube is 256 gigabytes or 12 hours, whichever is less.
Is there any limit to uploading videos on YouTube?
Aside from the file size and length, there is no actual limitation in the number of videos you can upload in one day on YouTube.
Can I upload 1-hour video to YouTube?
Yes. As stated before, you can upload videos for up to 12 hours in duration.
What is the best time of day to upload a YouTube video?
According to statistics, the best time to post a video to YouTube is at 5 p.m.
What is the best video resolution for YouTube upload?
Nowadays, 1080p (FullHD) is considered to be the best resolution for YouTube. It will look great on most screens, with a professional look even on big televisions, while it doesn’t take the same big amount of resources a 4K video will.
720p is the minimum accepted resolution for YouTube these days.
Does YouTube charge to upload videos?
No. Uploading videos to YouTube is completely free. You can upload as many videos as you want with nearly no limits.
How long do YouTube videos take to upload?
That will depend both on your connection speed and your video length and resolution. Having that said, it can go from a couple of seconds to dozens of minutes.
Can we edit YouTube video after upload?
Yes. YouTube videos can now be edited without the need of taking those down and reupload. After you upload a video, you can change your video details in YouTube Studio. Change everything from your video’s title to caption and comment settings.
Is it possible to upload YouTube video in WhatsApp Status?
You can share a YouTube video in the WhatsApp status. To do it, you need to download the video and split it into 30-second portions so it is supported by WhatsApp Status.
There are applications designed to perform WhatsApp Status video sharing in an automatized way.
Who is the first person to upload a video on YouTube?
It was YouTube’s co-founder Jawed Karim on April 23, 2015. He posted an 18-second video entitled “Me at the zoo“
Can I upload vertical video to YouTube?
Yes. From July 2018, YouTube displays vertical videos on a desktop without the black bars on the sides. It will automatically adjust the video’s aspect ratio to suit the device’s screen size.
Can you upload YouTube video from phone?
Yes. You can upload content to YouTube using the official Android or iOS app effortlessly.
Why does my YouTube video only have 360p?
Relax. YouTube primarily uploads your video in 360p resolution so it gets ready faster. Higher resolutions need more time to be processed, but just after some time, all users are able to watch the YouTube video in higher quality.
So to conclude, the best way to avoid a copyright claim is to remove your uploaded video, edit out or replace the parts that are under copyright, and then upload it again. You will lose the fame the video has already accumulated, but it may well be worth it.
For smaller portions of the video affected by copyright, you may want to consider simply cropping out that particular part of it.
Check out some of our other awesome articles:
- How to get in touch with someone on YouTube
- How to watch a YouTube video frame by frame
- Combining videos on YouTube
- How can I enable long videos on YouTube?
- How much time does it take to upload a video to YouTube?
- How can I embed a YouTube video in Gmail?
- Where can I find my YouTube uploaded videos?
- Fixing audio renderer error on YouTube
- Listening to YouTube with the screen off
- How much storage do you get in YouTube
- How to save YouTube videos to iPhone
- Best YouTube downloaders for Android
- How to download a video from YouTube to a computer